[WikiEN-l] Jimbo interview

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 09:38:33 UTC 2009

David Gerard wrote:
> 2009/4/4 Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro at gmail.com>:
>

>> The only regret I personally have about that one, is that Jimbo
>> missed the one big opening at a knock-out punch vis a vis
>> citizendium.
>>

> I don't. Citizendium can't harm Wikipedia, but Wikipedia could harm
> Citizendium. And that would be bad.

I think you vastly over-rate the influence wikipedia has on
anything. Specifically what influence words by Jimbo have.

If pressed I would say that wikipedia does not gain from
diminution of citizendium, even though it unfortunately
won't even gain from having an effective loyal opposition
in the form of citizendium. My judgment is that citizendium
is vastly more dysfunctional than wikipedia, and as such
largely irrelevant, even as a check and balance.

I do however in the larger scheme of things think that
having a credible fork of the English wikipedia at this
stage of its life-cycle wouldn't be counter-productive,
ghod knows somebody needs to keep it honest. But I
have very little hope of that happening in a form that is
genuine, and not just a mocker.

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen