[WikiEN-l] Saying no to new unreferenced BLPs

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Thu Apr 2 09:37:32 UTC 2009

2009/4/2 doc <doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com>:
> Erik, or someone who knows, can you outline all the things de.wp does
> differently from en.wp - and whether it has less of a problem with
> legitimate subject complaints?

I'm mostly a tourist on de.wp, but my impression is that it's a combination of

- FlaggedRevs on all articles, with most recently flagged version
shown by default;
- generally higher notability standards than en.wp, on all types of articles;
- higher requirements for IP edits;
- some systematic training for OTRS volunteers to better handle BLP
and other support issues.

There are three active chapter organizations, with Wikimedia Germany
having hired its own dedicated staff, which helps to deal with
escalating problems.

That said, there's been a significant decrease in the number of new
editors per month on de.wp over the last year, more so than in other
large languages. FlaggedRevs in particular can definitely be confusing
for new editors, especially if you have to wait days for your edit to
be approved.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation