[WikiEN-l] Real Names

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Fri Sep 26 23:01:58 UTC 2008

Thomas, I was replying to the *general feeling* by some that it is  sometimes
permissible to track down real-world identities, of those who for,  whatever
reason, are trying to hide theirs.

It was not directly to you.  I'm not trying to set-up an adversarial
counter-attack on your particular position, just point out that there is a  larger
issue at-stake here.  Rather than give extra leeway to admins, I  would be more
inclined to give admins less leeway.  Power, even small  amounts, tends to
make people feel they are immune from the standards that apply  to the powerless.
 If we are going to stress that in-wiki and out-wiki  activities shouldn't
merge, than that standard needs to be applied to admin  actions as well and
perhaps even more-so.  IMHO.

Will Johnson