[WikiEN-l] Featured article - "Mom and Dad"

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 17:38:13 UTC 2008

2008/9/24 Oldak Quill <oldakquill at gmail.com>:
> 2008/9/24 Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>:
>>> We're never going to catch up! (A bad thing because not all FAs will
>>> be main page featured; a good thing because there are so many more
>>> FAs.)
>>
>> We could start featuring two articles a day. One from a traditional
>> encyclopaedic topic and one from a pop-culture topic, perhaps.
>
> That's a false division of content. Wikipedia merely has more space
> for pop-culture topics than traditional paper encyclopedias. Anyway,
> pop culture on Wikipedia is one of our greatest assets - it attracts a
> lot of new users who would not otherwise read encyclopedia articles.

I never said there was anything wrong with pop-culture articles, but
there is a clear distinction between an article on Titanium and an
article on Pikachu (sp?). Having one featured article from each
category allows people interested in each to find an article they'll
be interested in. There are plenty of other ways to split the site in
two, but I think this is the best.