[WikiEN-l] Featured article - "Mom and Dad"

Flameviper Velifang theflameysnake at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 24 16:22:42 UTC 2008

What makes me uncomfortable about this is that it's such a (for the most part) insignificant article being promoted to a FA and on the main page. Not only is it eerily short, its subject is incredibly obscure. Many of the C1K are still at start-class and B-class, yet people still get this to the front page. Not saying it's bad; a meaningless featured article is better than not having one at all, but I think it would be greatly beneficial to the project and our public perception if we were to put more stress on the core articles. When people say "Wikipedia is a bad resource", they're not talking about a social hygiene movie from 1946, they're talking about the 118 chemical elements, many of whose articles are B or Start.

(I was working on Lutetium; halfway through my research and before I could reformat the article I got indefinitely banned).