[WikiEN-l] Why Google's online encyclopedia will never be as good as Wiki...

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Tue Sep 23 02:12:00 UTC 2008

You're right it isn't.  I was comparing Knol to Wikipedia  though.
The only reason I brought up Ayn was because Jimmy is a Rand (or was a  Rand)
enthusiast, and the more I thought about it, the less I perceived WP as  the
sort of product she'd endorse.  I don't recall clearly how at the end  of
Atlas Shrugged, they decided on the rules for their new society.  It's  entirely
possible that Ayn would encourage the meta-Wiki while at the same time
discouraging the article-space.

My take on her view, is that she was very anti-committee, anything created
by committee was almost always fatally flawed vis a vis items created by an
individual.  Instead of the final result being "here is AN item which is  the
ultimate expression of X", you would have "here are several items, each
individually created, which each are AN expression of X, you the consumer  decides
which is the best"

I'm not quite sure is the Knolian approach to how the consumer decides is
really going to work or not.  But then every system has flaws.  I'm  willing to
give it a shot and see.  I don't even think the Knol architects  really know
what's going to happen or what they want to happen until a situation  appears
directly in front of them.  The Knolian approach *does* however  almost
entirely remove the aspect of edit-warring doesn't it?  And  edit-wars are really at
the heart of 85% of WP problems.

Will Johnson

In a message dated 9/22/2008 6:55:01 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,