[WikiEN-l] Plot Element Copyright

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Sun Sep 21 19:53:16 UTC 2008

Well we see the first problem.  Whether or not Harry Potter is a  "trademark"
rests entirely on whether or not it's registered.
Unlike copyright law (currently in the US) you cannot infringe a trademark
unless it's registered.
Copyrights however do not require any sort of registration.

Also under trademark law, there has to be *evidence* of *actual confusion*
between one product and another.
You can only infringe if some member of the public would confuse Wikia's
site with an actual official Harry Potter product.

In a message dated 9/21/2008 12:20:34 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,