[WikiEN-l] "How Wikipedia Works" published

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 17:06:34 UTC 2008

It's the season for books about Wikipedia!

I am very pleased to announce that "How Wikipedia Works", by myself
(Phoebe Ayers), Charles Matthews, and Ben Yates has now been published
by No Starch Press.

You can view a table of contents and find more information here:
http://nostarch.com/wikipedia.htm

We cover the background of Wikipedia and the motivations and core
values behind the project, how to edit existing articles and develop
new ones, policies and guidelines for content and editing, how the
editing community works, and how to get involved in the community.

Although we focus on the English-language Wikipedia, we also cover the
wider world of other language Wikipedias, the Wikimedia Foundation,
and Wikipedia's sister projects. We hope the book will be useful both
as a reference for current contributors and as a comprehensive
introduction to Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects for newbies.

The book is licensed under the GFDL, and an online version will be
forthcoming shortly. Any printed copies purchased will help support
traditional publishers using free licenses successfully, and 5% of the
authors' royalties will be donated to the Wikimedia Foundation.

We very much look forward to the community's feedback! For now, you
can leave comments on the wiki here:
http://wiki.phoebeayers.info
or email or leave a talk page message for any of us.

Many thanks to everyone who helped us out with this, particularly the
folks at No Starch press who were very supportive of developing a
free-content work; Benjamin Mako Hill, who provided technical and
licensing support; and SJ Klein, who helped develop the book.

best,
Phoebe ([[en:user:phoebe]])

<at> gmail.com *