[WikiEN-l] Plot Element Copyright

Mark Gallagher mark at formonelane.net
Thu Sep 18 00:29:16 UTC 2008

G'day Will (?),

> In another thread it was commented in passing that "plot elements" are
>
> copyright.  The loosely-formed statement might naturally lead to an
> idea  that you
> cannot describe the plot of a work.  This conclusion would be
> false.
<snip/>
> Obviously it should be clear, that for the intents of describing a
> work for
> a review, you must actually describe it, and you may, just as well
> describe
> the  first fifteen minutes, as the last, or the entire work.  Since
> a review, or
> article, or synopsis, is not in-fact substatially similar, *even if*
> it
> gives  away the entire plotline, there is no copyright infringement.
> The only
> time this would be an infringment is when, in fact, you are copying
> substantially someone else's plot line synopsis.  Or in the case
> where your  synopsis
> essentially *is the primary or motive cause* for people not to
> purchase  the
> product.  I don't know of actually any case where this has been
> shown  to have
> occurred.

There was a case about two years ago --- my, how time flies! --- where a Wikipedian had written a mutli-sub-page retelling of the story of 2001: A Space Oddysey, interspersed with analysis of the film's themes and the significance of its special effects.  Not only did it go into incredible depth of analysis, it also re-told the entire story (quoting every line of dialogue, describing of every action).  There was nothing (apart from the spectacle of Kubrick's direction, of course) that could be gained from watching the film that one wouldn't also get from reading the articles.

*That's* a copyright infringement.

--
Mark Gallagher
0439 704 975