[WikiEN-l] Non administrators closing deletion debates

Martijn Hoekstra martijnhoekstra at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 20:56:35 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 7:05 PM, Charlotte Webb
<charlottethewebb at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/16/08, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
>> A few years ago, what would happen was they'd close it, tag the
>> article as a speedy-deletion candidate, and mark it as "per the
>> deletion discussion [here]", or something similar. This was sort of
>> frowned on, but simply because it meant an extra step - the deleting
>> admin had to check the discussion was indeed a fair close.
>
> Maybe in theory but in practice, half the admins watching CSD will
> swing at anything without examination or comment.

I have the same feeling about this, but is it in fact the case, or is
it not so bad? The only reason I follow the feeling is that it is a
common sentiment, but I have never seen anything what the sentiment is
based on, apart from slapping a CSD tag on everything that moves from
some editors. When I go over CSD, I decline between 30% and 50% (which
is still a rough guess). Many still end up deleted at AfD though. I
have no idea what other admins going over CAT:CSD do, or how well they
look through an article (and the web) before deleting it.

<snip />