[WikiEN-l] Deletion of articles, archival, etc.

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 09:08:01 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 9:32 AM, Flameviper Velifang
<theflameysnake at yahoo.com> wrote:
> In regards to the "wikiunderground" site, I have a couple questions.
>
> Is it directly tied-in to the Wikimedia software? Or is it just a fast-refreshing crawler? If the latter, is it sufficiently equipped to handle all article deletions?
>
> Secondly, this concept raises a lot of possibilities. First of all, the question of deletion itself. Is there a need to permanently delete pages so that only administrators can view them? Or could we have another userlevel (somewhere between autoconfirmed and admin) called "Pageview" where you could view deleted pages? I mean, this might be a bad idea because it would remove the importance of deletion (why bother deleting a page if some users will be able to view it) but this level might require 6 months and 500 edits.
>
> Thirdly, a developer might even want to automate this process, wherein all deleted pages are transfered to a subdomain, perhaps deleted.wikipedia.org or something to that effect.
>
> Just some thoughts.
>
> Just a thought.

Anyone can see a deletion log, and several admins (including myself)
will email or restore a temporary copy to userspace of an article
that's not potential libel or copyvio upon a good faith request. If
someone comes to me and says "Hey, the article on Character X from
Series Y was deleted, I would like a temporary copy of the article and
its history to copy to a fan wiki", and said article was not
potentially libelous or a copyvio, I'm happy to do so. I guess I don't
see the need for this. I think administrative oversight isn't a bad
thing when deciding if a deleted article should be available for such
purposes.

--
Freedom is the right to say that 2+2=4. From this all else follows.