[WikiEN-l] Talking to Jimmy Wales about discussion

Alec Conroy alecmconroy at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 23:00:20 UTC 2008

On 9/2/08, Will <will at nabble.com> wrote:
> I emailed Jimmy Wales about adding a "real" discussion function to
>  Wikipedia.

Will,

I for one think it's a marvelous idea to have some sort of project
with discussion boards for... EVERYTHING, or at least everything
that's notable.  A wonderful idea, and someone's going to do it.  If
not us, someone else.  But such an idea is so good, it is inevitable
that it will occur.

I agree with the many people who have said that that thing is not
Wikipedia.  We're an encyclopedia, and have worked hard to generate
the "brand image" that we're not just a group of random lunatics
saying whatever we want about anything.   Incorporating a "discuss the
subject itself" area into Wikipedia itself would probably lead to
confusion.

I would suggest asking the foundation to start up a new project which
is specifically devoted to talking about subject itself.  Wikidiscuss
or Wikitalk or something like that.

And then, through templating, we could direct people to THAT project
whenever they discuss things directly (rather than discussing the
article).  For subjects where an extensive discussion is ongoing, we
could include links to that discussion in the same way that we include
links to other projects (like Commons or WikiSource).

But in general, I think it's a wonderful idea, and if you could help
the foundation make such a thing come to pass, without it being part
of Wikipedia proper, I think it would be a wonderful addition to the
family.

Alec