[WikiEN-l] Article subpages

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Tue Sep 2 23:57:58 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 4:58 PM, Angela <beesley at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 1:07 AM, Philip Sandifer <snowspinner at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > That is, is the decision to turn off subpages just at technical
> > decision because of the problem it causes for articles like [[OS/2]]?
>
> It wasn't just a technical decision. The discussion about why it was
> done can still be found at
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Case_against_subpages and
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Get_rid_of_subpages_entirely and other
> pages on meta linked from those.

Reading this, it looks like subpages were originally used for
categorization.  The category system now developed is much more flexible.
 It allows an article to exist in multiple categories, for instance.

OTOH, there doesn't seem to be an argument against something like
[[Thailand/History]] for an article like [[History of Thailand]].

Phil, can you explain what you mean by "areas where we have, essentially,
multiple articles on a single topic", or should we wait for your final
proposal?  Multiple articles on a single topic sounds like a bad thing with
a simple solution.  Merge and redirect.  The ugly merge/redirects come from
the "solution" to a different situation - multiple articles on multiple
topics.