[WikiEN-l] [Foundation-l] Trouble in Ireland

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Nov 28 18:12:33 UTC 2008

Michael Everson wrote:
> On 28 Nov 2008, at 00:27, Ray Saintonge wrote:
>
>> That's because the nationals of a few small countries perceive a
>> "state" to be a political subdivision.
>>
> I don't understand. "Georgia (country)" and "Georgia (state)" would
> both = Sakartvelo and both contrast with "Georgia (U.S. State)". And
> the U.S. States are sovereign in a sense (California is more sovereign
> than County Mayo in Ireland is), though they also are part of a
> federal structure which is the top-level subdivision in terms of UN
> recognition.

[[Georgia (state)]] is currently a disambiguation page. California does
indeed have greater autonomy than County Mayo; perhaps even Orange
County, has more autonomy.  I understand that "state" is a technically
correct term for an independent country, but in English speaking
countries like the United *States* or Australia the more popular notion
of political subdivision would tend to prevail.
>> Would [[Ireland (Republic)]] be sufficient to emphasize that the
>> term "republic" is merely descriptive.
>>
> I don't believe it would be preferable. to changee [[Republic of
> Ireland]] to [[Ireland (republic)]] or to [[Ireland (Republic)]] -- I
> think you'd get push-back on that. I could ask, but just at the moment
> that might be poking the hornet's nest.

Whether it's "(Republic)" or "(republic)" should not be a big issue.

Ec