[WikiEN-l] [Foundation-l] Trouble in Ireland

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 12:45:42 UTC 2008

2008/11/28 Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com>:

> I don't believe it would be preferable. to changee [[Republic of
> Ireland]] to [[Ireland (republic)]] or to [[Ireland (Republic)]] -- I
> think you'd get push-back on that. I could ask, but just at the moment
> that might be poking the hornet's nest.

Leaving aside the political overtones..

If you're going to do bracketed disambiguation then either (country)
or (state) is preferable, since you're disambiguating versus the
island - we always use the most general term possible, and (republic)
is a bit precise. Using (republic) would suggest that the other cases
were defined by being something other than a republic, which is a bit
of a category error...

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk