[WikiEN-l] [Foundation-l] Trouble in Ireland

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Thu Nov 27 12:45:35 UTC 2008

On 27 Nov 2008, at 12:05, David Gerard wrote:

> 2008/11/27 Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com>:
>
>> We haven't proposed that. We proposed "Ireland (state)".
>
> That has a slight smell of neologism - is the term used anywhere
> outside Wikipedia?

It is no different from "Georgia (country)"

> At least "Republic of Ireland" is something it's called in an
> official document on the state's formation.

Incorrect. The Constitution of Ireland (1937) specifies that "Ireland"
is the name of the state. The Republic of Ireland Act (1948) specifies
that "Republic of Ireland" is a "description" of the state.

Once again, the best compromise proposal:

Ireland --> disambiguation page
Ireland (island) --> about the island, comparable to the "Great
Britain" article
Ireland (state) --> about the state.

And yes, I prefer Ireland --> about the state but I recognize that
this is no compromise.

> Putting the article on Macedonia the country at [[Republic of
> Macedonia]] has at least kept the argument there down to a dull roar.

The name of Macedonia is "Република
Македонија" (Republika Makedonija). This is not the same
situation we have in Ireland.

> The other problem is that voting frequently sucks as a method of
> ascertaining consensus.

Certainly, as the Northerners seem to be out filling the vote with
unsupported Oppose votes. 'Cause they have not wanted to compromise.