[WikiEN-l] [Foundation-l] Trouble in Ireland

Zoney zoney.ie at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 16:13:34 UTC 2008

2008/11/26 David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>

> 2008/11/26 Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com>:
>
> > The name "Ireland" is ambiguous. People looking for it might be looking
> for
> > the state. Most probably are. Or people looking for it might be looking
> for
> > the island.
> >  Since the Ireland should point to the disambiguation page, the correct
> > thing to do is to move that content to Ireland (island) as proposed here.
>

> OK. Do we have any numbers on that? Can we back up that "probably"?
>
> (I don't know if we do or can. We have accurate hit counts for pages,
> but not for navigation between pages that I know of.)
>
> Personally if I went to "Ireland" I'd expect to see the page for the
> country, but I know that's just me.

Ah, but by country, do you mean the State (which does not include Northern
Ireland) or the Nation (which does include Northern Ireland just as it did
pre-partition, albeit part is also "British" in the same way someone from
Scotland is Scottish and British)?

My vote is for Ireland to be a disambiguation page. As someone from Ireland
I am not happy to have the page "Ireland" concern only the State, as the
state is only part of both the island and nation.

Zoney
--
~()____) This message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...