[WikiEN-l] How to sabotage Wikipedia, for SEO spammers

Puppy (KillerChihuahua) puppy at KillerChihuahua.com
Wed Nov 26 15:38:29 UTC 2008

Several odious personages, actually. I scanned some of the comments, and
they are all ethically challenged:

- - - comment from article - - -
Comment by Melanie Phung <http://www.all-about-content.com/>
- 2008-11-06 12:19:37

I’ll take that one step further. Start by spamming the crap out of the
Wikipedia page in question with internal Wiki links — add links to as
many Wikipedia pages as quickly as you can, they should be barely relevant.

In my experience, adding a huge volume of internal links all at once can
trip a Google filter and make the page disappear from the SERP (at least
for a little while).

Then in a day or so you can go back (obviously from a different
IP/account) and remove all those links PLUS many of the original legit
links in the name of cleaning up after “the spammer”. Just make sure you
don’t look too obvious.

This accomplishes two things: 1) you might succeed in knocking the page
off Google’s front page for appearing to have gained a spammy link
profile and 2) it gives you a legit looking reason to remove existing
links on powerful Wiki pages.

- - - end comment from article - - -

Notice the stated aim is not to be ethical at all, the aim is to have a
legit "looking" reason. The only concerns raised at all were either "But
how do you prevent being caught?" and one very weak comment that "That's
why this is blue hat, not white hat".

Meh.