[WikiEN-l] [Foundation-l] Trouble in Ireland

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Nov 26 14:53:11 UTC 2008

On 26 Nov 2008, at 14:49, Alex Sawczynec wrote:

> So hang on a second here -- can someone please explain what's so
> horrifyingly inadequate about the current state that things need to be
> renamed? Unless something is completely disingenuous about the name
> "Republic of Ireland," I'm not seeing a pressing need for these
> changes.
> - GlassCobra

People who live in Ireland (the state) prefer its formal name
"Ireland" to the description "Republic of Ireland". It does not say
"Republic of Ireland" on our passports (for instance). The rest of the
world calls it Ireland, too. It is some Northern Ireland editors who
insist that "Republic of Ireland" be used, and this causes endless
debate.