[WikiEN-l] How's our coverage of medications?

Eugene van der Pijll eugene at vanderpijll.nl
Tue Nov 25 17:38:43 UTC 2008

David Gerard schreef:
> http://in.reuters.com/article/health/idINTRE4AN7BO20081124
>
> "NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Consumers who rely on the user-edited Web
> resource Wikipedia for information on medications are putting
> themselves at risk of potentially harmful drug interactions and
> adverse effects, new research shows.

The original abstract is available at
http://www.theannals.com/cgi/content/abstract/aph.1L474v1 . It's not all
bad news!

Some more details: "Wikipedia performed poorly regarding information on
dosing, with a score of 0% versus the MDR score of 90.0%." I believe
this is because of an explicit Wikipedia policy to discourage dosage
information, to prevent self-medication.

"No factual errors were found in Wikipedia, whereas 4 answers in
Medscape conflicted with the answer key" (!!!)

"current entries were superior to those 90 days prior (p = 0.024)."
First scientific proof that quality still is improving?

Eugene