[WikiEN-l] Autoconfirm for uploads to en.wp

Charlotte Webb charlottethewebb at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 12:59:24 UTC 2008

On 11/23/08, Todd Allen <toddmallen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Making the upload button go straight to Commons would create a lot of
> problems there, as nonfree content that would be legitimate on
> Wikipedia would be routed there and subsequently deleted, creating
> headaches for them and confusion for the uploader.

True but admins of commons are actually expected to understand and
care about copyright before passing RFA. On enwiki a user doing
significant image patrol will be lucky to get 50% support.

At least on commons the shelf life of copyvio is typically not
measured in years.

> I think an approval process might work, though there's certainly
> nothing stopping anyone from saying "There's an image at [link
> here] that I believe could legitimately be used in [[article]], could
> you please have a look and upload it if you agree?"

If said image is "inside my camera" this would only be a bureaucratic
impediment to me. Of course if I created the picture myself I should
take it straight to commons anyway.

But as far as bureaucracy goes, a centralized "requests for fair use"
page might have some merit, if it helps avoid a pathological situation
where 3 or 4 anime buffs have decided that a higher file size limit
means "episode videos are okay as long as you cut out the credits". Or
worse they could upload war about it until "concencus" [sic] is
reached.

Suffice it to say I'm not optimistic about the longevity of the extra
server space being touted.

—C.W.