[WikiEN-l] Avoiding the dates issue

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 23:57:33 UTC 2008

2008/11/15 Marc Riddell <michaeldavid86 at comcast.net>:

> Most often a project or organization does not fail due to some catastrophic
> happening from without; these they are prepared for and can defend against.
> What does prove to be its final undoing is a corrosion of its product &
> culture from within. To put it plainly: The product this Project is putting
> out has become incredibly sloppy, both in content and presentation. There
> are clear symptoms, and if detected and corrected soon enough, such a
> collapse can be prevented. I sense a hubris regarding the Project that is
> disturbing; and can ultimately prove to be its undoing.

A Group Is Its Own Worst Enemy (Clay Shirky):

http://shirky.com/writings/group_enemy.html

Note that Wikipedia is given as an example of a group that had evaded
this. Oh well.

In open source software, forking usually remedies the problem, with
possible remerging. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork_(software_development) .

- d.