[WikiEN-l] A definite version of WP:CRYSTAL

Jay Litwyn brewhaha at edmc.net
Thu Nov 13 17:53:41 UTC 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "FT2" <ft2.wiki at gmail.com>
To: "English Wikipedia" <wikien-l at lists.wikimedia.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:33 AM
Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] A definite version of WP:CRYSTAL

> Wikipedia reports what is known, verifiable, and stated by significant
> reliable sources, at this time.
>

> In matters such as the economy, and global warming, some of the
> significant
> views held NOW, are views about the future. For example, "Barrack Obama
> will
> be the 44th president",

A day before the election I was reading this as nearly five coin tosses,
according to polls. That qualified it extensively, because neither party was
about to leave those states up to chance.

 " or "Based on current research the great plains will
> become desert by 2050 unless action is taken",

You are better off stating history in the form of how much of that land was
not desert fifty years ago and changes in the rate of creepage.

 or whatever. Even verifiable
> and relevant facts about the future may be fine, such as "If  he wins
> another 3 fights he will have the longest record of any boxer".

Stuff like that is why I had trouble pruning the article on United States
Senate, 2010. In 2010, when people are interested in the article from a
historic POV, stuff like that would become a record. We are not robots. That
is what WP:IAR is pretty much about. In sports and politics, we hav money
riding on the future. So, it is natural that we find it harder to resist.

I want to give readers a clue. If their host changes, then maybe they will
understand that they are delving into topics that are almost purely human.
Encylopedias are about understanding things other than ourselves, too. It is
very hard to predict anything but yourself.

 If those are
> relevant and significant in a topic, then yes, we may report them. What
> CRYSTAL is saying is, much more, that we don't go off speculatively
> wondering on our own, about future possibilities, without very good reason
> and some kind of backing...  (unless these are actually mainstream
> significant matters worth reporting, in the field concerned.) But I agree,
> it's hard to pin down :)

Now you know why I like mathematics. If I do not follow it, then I only hav
myself to blame. If I can follow it, then I do not need authorities to make
it stronger or more understandable.