[WikiEN-l] Ayn Rand and Wikipedia

Steve Summit scs at eskimo.com
Thu Nov 13 17:05:28 UTC 2008

Anthony wrote:
>On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 6:33 PM, Steve Summit <scs at eskimo.com> wrote:
>> I'm *glad* that it's not obvious who wrote an article.  I like to
>> think of Wikipedia as being written by some large number of
>> anonymous contributors, one of whom happens to be me.
>
> Thanks.  I think that proves my point.  Wikipedia has been taken over
> by altruists.

"Taken over by"?  When was it ever not?  I certainly don't sense
any change on this score over the 3+ years I've been contributing.

It doesn't bother me that you've branded me as an altruist,
although it's mildly interesting to ponder which definition of
that odious term you had in mind.  I can think of at least three:

1. To be altruistic, you can't get any money for what you do.
2. To be altruistic, you can't get anything in return for what you do.
3. To be altruistic, you must make significant sacrifices (it must
   significantly cost you) to do what you do.

I'm not interested in arguing about these, but before you go
thinking I'm all number-two-altruistic for not wanting my name on
articles I've contributed to, I should say that I nevertheless do
get a *lot* in return -- mostly in the form of inner satisfaction.
(And I know I'm far from alone in this attitude.)