[WikiEN-l] A definite version of WP:CRYSTAL

Oskar Sigvardsson oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 00:30:29 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 4:01 PM, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:
> So how should we treat this from the Fianancial Times:
>
> Merrill chief sees severe global slowdown
>
> By Greg Farrell in New York
>
> Published: November 11 2008 14:42 | Last updated: November 11 2008 20:06
>
> The global economy is entering a slowdown of epic prop­ortions comparable
> with the period after the 1929 crash, John Thain, chairman and chief
> executive of Merrill Lynch, warned on Tuesday.
>
> http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/834ebf5e-aff9-11dd-a795-0000779fd18c.html
>
> What is true is not necessarily the underlying projection but the fact
> that presumably expert people are saying these things.
>
> Fred

Exactly. I see no reason for wikipedia not to say "The total scale of
this crisis is as of yet uncertain, but several economists are
projecting [whatever]", with references. Saying this isn't trying to
predict the outcome, which wikipedia shouldn't be doing, it's just
simply reporting what people are saying about the crisis. It provides
neutral and relevant information.

--Oskar