[WikiEN-l] Ayn Rand and Wikipedia

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Thu Nov 13 00:22:04 UTC 2008

In a message dated 11/12/2008 3:34:03 PM Pacific Standard Time,
scs at eskimo.com writes:

Even  asking
whether an article was written 90% by me or 2% or whatever --
to  me, that sounds perilously close to WP:OWN.>>
---------------
OWN however deals with the feeling by some editors that they have a
priveledged position vis a vis others, in accepting changes to certain  articles.
Attribution would only be OWN if OWNing editors prevented anyone  else from
making enough changes to subvert their by-line.

I'm not really sensing that attribution would increase or decrease the
current levels of OWNership we already see.  It would possibly, however,  bring
into the fold, more writers to help fix some of our more sub-standard  articles.
One of the benefits that I see in KNOL is attribution.

I contributed greatly, at one time, to our article on Helena  Blavatsky.  I
have a deal of knowledge about her biography.  However I  know next to nothing
about her philosophy/theology.  So at one time  perhaps, my own byline would
wave in her article, but later on, perhaps I'd  fall-from-grace if someone
added several paragraphs about her beliefs as  well.  That's the breaks.  My
percentage of her article might fall  from 60% to 20%.

It would be a lot more useful for the kind of attribution that the license
(or at least the theory of it) seems to suggest for redistribution.  Some
people think naming the top three authors would be sufficient.  Some want  all of
history.  It's not obvious to know who the top three authors are  right now.

Will Johnson