[WikiEN-l] Donation banner and strongly negative reactions

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Nov 12 23:05:17 UTC 2008

Anthony wrote:
> Where can you safely get 5% interest, anyway?  The 30-year bond is around
> 4%.  Long-term municipal bonds are around 5%, but they're not totally safe
> nowadays.  And this is, as Gregory pointed out, before inflation.  The
> chance that the US is going to start adding zeros to its dollar bills in the
> next 30-years is non-negligible.

It's about time that the US abandoned $1.00 and $2.00 bills and just
used coins instead.

The risk is to have a situation such as prevails in Egypt.  In the two
weeks that I was there at Wikimania time I only twice received coins in
change, and thsat was from the cashier at official government tourist
sites.  Everything else was paper money down to the 25 piastres note
worth about 5 cents.  Carrying that in one's pocket creates a soggy mess.

Ec