[WikiEN-l] Ayn Rand and Wikipedia

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Wed Nov 12 19:39:56 UTC 2008

In a message dated 11/12/2008 2:21:46 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
wikimail at inbox.org writes:

In order  to deprive us of
honor that you may then deprive us our wealth, you have  always regarded us
as slaves who deserve no moral  recognition.>>
---------------------
I.E. you do the work and your boss gets the credit.
I think Dolly Parton said it as well.

That's the shining light of Knol, or at least the theory.  That those  who
write the articles *do* get attribution, but so-far it's not quite working  out
as I'd thought.  I have two Knols where I actually have *minor*
co-contributors, but the majority just seem to be read without comment.   Maybe I'm just
that perfect of a writer.  I wonder if there is some  measurement in Wikipedia
of the *average number of contributors per article*  ?

Perhaps it's only something small like 1.5.  Maybe most articles are  written
by a single author.

Maybe one way to improve Wikipedia would be a two-tier approach where
articles start out with attribution but once an article achieves "critical  mass",
the list of contributors just becomes "a bunch of people" instead of
specifying the names.  (Don't try to convince me that the History link is
"attribution", people who write for a living know that it's almost unusable for  that.)

Will Johnson