[WikiEN-l] Date linking a done deal!?!

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 12 16:40:36 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 4:09 PM, Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 3:52 PM, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2008/11/11 Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com>:
>>
>> > If instead of the template, there was a link to a list, or a link
>> > to a category, then "whatlinkshere" would be much cleaner and could
>> actually
>> > be checked carefully to see if all the links are being used correctly.
>> Ditto
>> > for listing the outgoing links. If links from transcluded templates
>> could be
>> > semantically distinguished from links from the actual articles, that
>> would
>> > be great.

Should clarify things here:

1) Listing of the transclusions of a page on other pages (already done in
whatlinkshere)
2) Listing of the pages that have a link to a page (already done in
whatlinkshere)
 Splitting the list in 2 into:
   2a) Links entered as plain text with square brackets around it (detecting
piped links would be nice as well)
   2b) Links that are called from a transcluded page or template (not done
at the moment)
   2c) Links that are re-routed through a redirect page (already done in
whatlinkshere)

And stating which templates are contributing which links would be nice as
well, to distinguish between infoboxes and footer topic templates and
various flavours of navboxes.

Incidentally, I remember asking once, when italics were made to show up as
italics in category pages, whether it would be possible to have "see
<REDIRECT DESTINATION>" appear next to the redirect name in the category. It
was thought not to be a good idea at the time, but I now see that in the
search results (search has been revamped re, that redirects show up there
next to the results (I think the search results list the redirect
destination, and bolds the redirect that you were searching for). An example
is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=barrack+obama&fulltext=Search

So maybe I should ask again if "REDIRECT <see redirect destination>" for
category pages is a goer or not? What would happen here is that in, say:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Prohibition_by_country

Instead of "Prohibition in
Finland<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition_in_Finland>"
being just in italics, it would appear in italics and have "see
Prohibition#Nordic
countries <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition#Nordic_countries><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition_in_Finland>"
next to it. Might look horrible, but would work just like the blind entries
in a paper encyclopedia. Which one was the link is another matter.

Oh goodness, since I'm on the subject of redirects, I might as well point
out this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Categorizing_redirects

One of the examples there is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Radio_Free_Vestibule&redirect=no

Nothing to say there. Just providing another example.

This isn't about date linking, now, is it? What's the etiquette here? Change
thread title? Start new thread? Ramble on and on off-topic until date
linking is mentioned again? :-)

Carcharoth