[WikiEN-l] Date linking a done deal!?!

Jay Litwyn brewhaha at edmc.net
Wed Nov 12 04:32:04 UTC 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Charlotte Webb" <charlottethewebb at gmail.com>
To: "English Wikipedia" <wikien-l at lists.wikimedia.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 1:00 PM
Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Date linking a done deal!?!

On 11/10/08, Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
> The discussion at the talk page of MOSNUM did raise the valid point that
> single-year linking has been avoided for years, and that discussion probably
> predates the start of date autoformatting.

Actually, it doesn't.

> My view is that the advent of autoformatting meant that the various date
> linking debates went quiet, and now they are coming back because some
> people (quite rightly) want to link dates for reasons other than autoformatting.

Other reasons include but are not limited to:
*Lack of an objective way to determine whether a link is "relevant to
the context", particularly if one has no familiarity with the subject
matter.
*Lack of a reason to have day/month/year articles, if they will go
unread in the absence of incoming links (no traffic).

There's no telling when such information might get automated, used and reprinted. I would've liked to get information about hits on http://www.ecn.ab.ca/~brewhaha/font/Saffron_Karaoke_Duet.wmv , because "Copies on optical disk must be gifts." is a pretty open license and so far, I've only had one personal "liked it" review (And he was looking at version three; I'm at version five.). My sister's copy will be late for her birthday, yesterday. In any case, since I'm designing it for a-capella training, there's really only one test of whether it will last. Did I mention that I hav another arrangement in mind? Point is, that some numbers don't really matter, unless people remember.

*Lack of an efficient way to update and maintain such pages in the
absence of incoming links (no whatlinkshere).

—C.W.