[WikiEN-l] Two main page FAs per day.

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 17:48:47 UTC 2008

2008/11/7 Tim Starling <tstarling at wikimedia.org>:

> Maybe we could rotate them twice per day, giving each FA 12 hours on the
> main page. Then we wouldn't be increasing the amount of clutter there. The
> first screenful is the most important thing, many readers will never
> scroll down when they visit that page.
>
> Obviously the recent double feature was necessary for neutrality, but we
> don't need to extend that precedent to cases where neutrality does not apply.

In some ways, I think the double-header can be better than alternating
FAs. If the blurbs are kept short, and the layout is set up correctly,
it looks really quite tidy; I only saw the main page once or twice on
the 4th, but as I recall it looked clear and neat.

That said, it really relies on the two articles being related.
[[Delhi]] and [[London]] would make for a coherent section; [[Delhi]]
and [[Henry VIII of England]] wouldn't. For an unrelated pair, you'd
probably have to seperate it out into two adjacent sections.

When we discussed double-FAs before, we were thinking of two unrelated
topics - perhaps picking related pairs would be a good way forward,
instead? Articles on two linked people, two battles, two chemical
elements, two animals, two cities...

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk