[WikiEN-l] Donation banner and strongly negative reactions

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 17:46:39 UTC 2008

2008/11/7 Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com>:

> I don't remember this sort of strong negative reaction before - is it
> expected? Are we seeing something a little different this year in terms of
> reaction? Has it translated into any change in the pace of donations?

FWIW, every year we appear to have a very vocal negative reaction.
It's never clear if this is shared by many people *outside* the
project - the only people we really have any way of gauging feedback
from are actively involved users, or the very small proportion of
uninvolved readers who are both motivated enough to complain and adept
enough to figure out a way to do so within our normal framework of
talk pages etc.

That's not to say people don't dislike it - I hear myself from many
who do! - just that we have no way of judging how meaningful or
widespread that dislike is compared to the reaction of our however
many million readers.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk