[WikiEN-l] Two main page FAs per day.

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Fri Nov 7 14:51:51 UTC 2008

Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> For some time now featured articles have been promoted at an average
> rate exceeding one per-day.  The undeniable consequence of this is
> that unless the rate of FA promotions drops off most featured articles
> will *never* make it to the main page.  I see no reason to expect the
> promotion rate to fall, an several arguments why we should expect it
> to increase.
>
> Yet, being featured on the main page is still cited by users as a big
> motivator behind their work on featured articles.
>
> There is a simple measure that we could take which would substantially
> reduce this gap:  We could regularlly run two featured articles on the
> main page like we are doing today.

Maybe we could rotate them twice per day, giving each FA 12 hours on the
main page. Then we wouldn't be increasing the amount of clutter there. The
first screenful is the most important thing, many readers will never
scroll down when they visit that page.

Obviously the recent double feature was necessary for neutrality, but we
don't need to extend that precedent to cases where neutrality does not apply.

-- Tim Starling