[WikiEN-l] Donation banner in edit window

Andrew Cates Andrew at soschildren.org
Thu Nov 6 13:30:40 UTC 2008

Elias, you say

>>"There *still* isn't a way to set up a regular monthly donation which would be my own preference."

I have to say this part is not cutting edge. Between 90% and 95% of
all online giving to our charity is setting up regular small gifts,
people buy the argument that maintenance costs (unlike investment or
emergency relief) are ongoing. But several other elements of this
campaign aren't very smart, as far as I can see. I wonder if any
professional fundraisers were involved (they'll hate me if they were).
FAQs like "why should I support WMF" and "what difference will my
donation make" for example are rather sadly absent and the "what does
this pay for" reads like "go and read the F***ing accounts stupid".
Beyond which, banner ads are about three years expired as a way to
raise money online. The massively cheapest and most effective way is
to hook people out looking to donate to something via Google for which
WMF seems completely resource-rich. But they choose to link footers on
every page on Wikipedia to a disambig page in en on "charity" rather
than to a really good pitch on WMF on why you should give and what our
vision is. WMF doesn't even appear in the google search for "open
software charity". Oh dear.

Andrew