[WikiEN-l] WP articles citing other WP articles??

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 04:28:41 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 10:37 AM, Jonathan (ENWIKI)
<jonathan.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> I had asked a similar question a few months ago, but I was writing an
> article. I was told I shouldn't add a citation to an article, but policies
> change.

When will the Wikipedia community accept that there are no "do's and
don'ts", but simply some things that are better than others?

- It is better to have (generally accurate) information, rather than
no information, even if it's based on information in another Wikipedia
article, and your own knowledge.
- If your source *is* another Wikipedia article, it's better to cite
that article, than to cite nothing.
- It's better to get information from a good external source, rather
than from Wikipedia.

Should you cite Wikipedia, from within Wikipedia? No. Should you never
cite Wikipedia, from within Wikipedia? No.

Steve