[WikiEN-l] Fwd: [Commons-l] On upload forms

Judson Dunn cohesion at sleepyhead.org
Fri May 30 21:39:15 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 11:37 AM, Simetrical
<Simetrical+wikilist at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 7:07 AM, Nick <heligolandwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I don't know how easy it would be to implement, but I'd like to see an image
>> duplicate search at the point the file is uploaded, and the file not being
>> permanently saved on the Foundation servers if a duplicate already exists.
>
> This would be very easy to do, if by "image duplicate search" you mean
> "search for an exact byte-for-byte copy of the image".  It was brought
> up just yesterday on Wikitech-l and could end up in the software
> within a week or two if someone feels like doing it.

Exact duplicates are the biggest problem. I think new people upload
something, then see a mistake and it's not so obvious that the page
they are looking at is a wiki page thta can be edited, since they used
a web form previously.

Maybe we can also make it more clear on the individual image pages
that to change the values you can click edit? Not sure how exactly,
but the user experience of having web form content now be editable
wiki-style i think is what confuses people sometimes, leading them to
just upload again to get back to the form...

Judson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Cohesion