[WikiEN-l] Fwd: [Commons-l] On upload forms

Nick heligolandwp at googlemail.com
Fri May 30 20:17:21 UTC 2008

Yeah, I was meaning a byte-for-byte identical. There's often reasons why
very similar files exist, such as a crop to focus on one celebrity in a cast
line up, with both photos being uploaded, that sort of thing.

Must subscribe to wikitech-l :p

2008/5/30 Simetrical
<Simetrical+wikilist at gmail.com<Simetrical%2Bwikilist at gmail.com>
>:

> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 7:07 AM, Nick <heligolandwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > I don't know how easy it would be to implement, but I'd like to see an
> image
> > duplicate search at the point the file is uploaded, and the file not
> being
> > permanently saved on the Foundation servers if a duplicate already
> exists.
>
> This would be very easy to do, if by "image duplicate search" you mean
> "search for an exact byte-for-byte copy of the image".  It was brought
> up just yesterday on Wikitech-l and could end up in the software
> within a week or two if someone feels like doing it.
>
> If by "image duplicate search" you mean "search for similar images
> that might be the same one in a different
> format/cropped/rotated/different color depth/etc.", then that would
> require a considerable amount of work, probably.
>
> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 8:13 AM, White Cat
> <wikipedia.kawaii.neko at gmail.com> wrote:
> > We can have new and old interface. People can choose which one they
> prefer.
> > The new one would of course be the default.
>
> If a new interface is introduced, it's unlikely that the old one will
> be maintained.  It's a waste of developer time to handle bug reports
> and so on on two differently-coded interfaces when one would do.

Nick
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Nick
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Nick