[WikiEN-l] avoiding rule-boundedness

Mark Nilrad marknilrad at yahoo.com
Tue May 27 10:43:28 UTC 2008

"Social control" can also be termed "mob rule". That term has previously been used to describe Wikipedia by outside sources.

Noble Story

Philip Sandifer <snowspinner at gmail.com> wrote:
On May 26, 2008, at 12:54 AM, Todd Allen wrote:

Our policies are almost, but not entirely incidental to the actual
work of improving the encyclopedia - they're certainly a second line
of defense, consulted when the first line of defense - social control
- fails.

In other words, what we need is not better policy, but rather better
users who rely on thought and judgment that is informed by principles,
not on rigid policy.

-Phil