[WikiEN-l] avoiding rule-boundedness

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Mon May 26 16:21:50 UTC 2008

At 10:16 PM 5/25/2008, Steve Summit wrote:
>I wrote:
> > Our rule-boundedness is relevant in another way, as well:
> > though it's loved by pedants and petty bureaucrat wannabees,
> > it's absolute death to the truly intelligent and creative...
> > So while there are good reasons for our tendency towards
> > firmer and firmer policy... it's a trend which has to be
> > intelligently resisted[.]
>
>One huge thing to watch out for is when our policies end up
>hurting our responsible contributors more than the vandals
>and trolls they're supposed to protect us from.  If every new
>contributor is guilty until proven innocent of being a vandal,
>POV warrior, linkspammer, copyright violator, or non-notable
>vanity article pusher, we're going to turn off and drive away a
>lot of new contributors.

More accurately, we've been driving such away for a few years now. I
was not active enough to really see what was going on back in 05 and
06, and I only started up serious editing, getting involved in WP
process, etc., in Sept. 07, and it had gotten pretty bad by then. My
friend, now blocked, started up
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Wikipedia_Reform
to look at what has been happening. That needs more attention. There
are plenty of long-time editors who have left, often with bitter
goodbye messages. But we also need to look at what happens in a more
invisible way, to experts and writers who simply take the promise at
face value: the sum of all human knowledge, the encyclopedia that
anyone can edit. They assume, as we normally do in the marketplace,
that the fine print won't take away what the headline promises. And
we could make that promise come true. Easily. No cost. And end up
with a better encyclopedia, better organized, more reliable, all of
that. There were already ways in existence that only take different
approaches, not different software, but flagged revisions is a
powerful new tool that would help. The true encyclopedic question,
classically, was never "delete" or "keep," but, "where do we file
this?" "Delete or keep" wasn't a knowledge question (knowledge never
deletes, though it may categorize in a file of such low notability
that it might get forgotten), it was a publication space question,
made by editors, and writers weren't asked to write articles to be excluded.

The public, with wikipedia, is asked to contribute from their
knowledge. Presumably they are human, and what they know is thus part
of "all human knowledge." "Sum" has two meanings, arguably,
"totality" and "summary," but, as used in our slogan, any court in a
Consumer Fraud action (at least in Arizona, where I had to deal with
the state on an issue once) would decide, I'm sure, that it meant, in
this context, totality.

So we are deceiving people when we allow good-faith contributions to
be simply deleted. But this isn't limited to AfD process. Our article
process grew like Topsy, and, particularly where there is some
controversy, the bulk of contributions, even if accurate and sourced,
get overwritten with other contributions, instead of a full
exploration of the topic being built. (This would *not* be on the top
layer, it's not what you'd see when simply looking up a topic, but,
when you want more detail, and especially when you want to edit an
article, you'd have it at your fingertips.)

Real knowledge is built through accumulation and categorization. The
category "notable" doesn't exist in real knowledge, as a practical
matter, because in order to categorize something as non-notable, you
have to notice it! "Notable" is a relationship between a person or
process and topics of knowledge, it is not intrinsic to the topics;
hence notability debates become a matter of whose opinion is better.
Sure, we can set "objective" standards, but they are arbitrary
underneath. (They can be very specific, so many peer-reviewed
articles, so many Google hits, appearance in some specific reference,
etc., so they can be "objectively applied," but I'm referring to the
original standard. It is, helplessly, elitist in some form or other.
What is important to "us" is more notable than what is important to
"you." What is important to people with college degrees is more
important than what is important to people without them. What is
important to the de-facto dominant culture on Wikipedia is more
important than what is important to someone from a different culture
(that happens to speak English, and such people are all over the
world now, plus fans are humans too, and "fancruft" is an aspect of
human knowledge.)

Now, notability decisions still need to be made, because importance
to a topic, and importance of the topic itself, is part of the
categorization process. We don't put trivia in the top layer of a
categorized encyclopedia, unless some decision is made that a piece
of trivia is really so interesting that it belongs at the top for
reasons of making articles attractive and fascinating as well as accurate.

Underneath all this is a basic problem that Wikipedia never faced and
resolved. And I'll make that a topic of its own mail. This is already
too long for this list (and *that* is, again, part of the problem!)