[WikiEN-l] What to do about our writing quality?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun May 25 06:32:32 UTC 2008

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:
> At 09:26 PM 5/24/2008, you wrote:
>
>> By the way, "Style and Color" aren't in the same category as "opinion,
>> argument and judgement".  Style and Color could be casual
>> observations "this is a
>> brown dog" is not in the same category as "this is a bad dog".
>>
> Style and color refer to manner of language, and neither brown dog
> nor bad dog show much of either, except the style is dull and colorless.

Style and colour add flow to the writing; it can include the continuity
that links the various already sourced bits of information.
> Opinion and argument and judgement, sourced (which generally includes
> attribution in the text, not merely sourcing), are facts and
> verifiable. (That is, the expression is verifiable. That the person
> *actually* held the opinion, for example, is often not verifiable.
> Might be, beyond a reasonable doubt, sometimes.)
>
> The interesting Moby-Dick text would be perfectly appropriate if
> attributed. *Maybe* if sourced other than attribution. You really
> can't tell, necessarily, from the form of the text. What if it was
> the consensus opinion among Melville experts that these descriptions
> were accurate?
>
> Again, I've encountered this: something very accurate appears to be
> an opinion to someone not familiar with the subject. Now, if it is
> sourced, that's the solution, to be sure. But if it is not sourced,
> that doesn't make it improper, it just means it needs source. What
> I'm saying here is that what may easily look like original research,
> or mere opinion, isn't. Requesting sources is the general solution.

And nothing prevents a person critical of missing sources from making
some effort to find them.  While the ultimate responsibility for
sourcing a fact remains with the contributor, that responsibility is not
exclusive.

Ec