[WikiEN-l] What to do about our writing quality?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun May 25 01:07:48 UTC 2008

WJhonson at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 5/24/2008 2:00:31 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> refero.relata at gmail.com writes:
>
> Absolutely not. It is shared - and WP:CITE and WP:V are policy,  not
> WP:MEWRITEPRETTY.>>

> Not... relevant.
>
> Copyeditors are not citing nor verifying.  They are re-writing  *previously
> cited and verified* details for consistency, flow, grammar and  style.
>
> IF the original writers couldn't be bothered to do it properly, that is not
> the burden of the copyeditors to fix.  It's the burden of the writers to  come
> back, and *properly* present the source material so it doesn't need to be
> fixed any more.
So then whose responsibility is it to check whether what the writer says
is consistent with the source?  I'm not even suggesting that the writer
acted improperly, just that he misread his source.  The writer can't
check himself, because he's likely to make the same mistake.  You have
absolved the copyeditor from any responsibility in this.  Who's left?

Ec