[WikiEN-l] What to do about our writing quality?

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Sat May 24 21:30:56 UTC 2008

In a message dated 5/24/2008 2:21:28 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
refero.relata at gmail.com writes:

Sorry,  this is getting ridiculous. As several people have said "properly"  is
subjective - and as I say above (irrelevant!?) - we don't enjoin people  to
write "properly" in the manner you suggest in the first  place...>>
I am not suggesting that people write "properly" in any manner.  You  are.
I'm responding to your assertion that copy-editors must reference the
underlying sources.

My whole point is "re-writing" is quite capable of changing  emphasis,
wording, tone and context in such a manner that WP:V is relevant.  These are
familiar issues, for example, to anyone who's ever had to  copy-edit
translations.>>
--------------------------
Sure and the burden to show that, is on those people with reference to the
sources.  And they way they show it, is to quote those sources, not just  wave
their hands around in mock disapproval of the copy editors job.  Not  that
you're doing that.

And above all, we do not want to place the burden on writers to  come back
and check every contribution they've  made...>>
But you're quite happy to burden copyeditors with the requirement to live
inside university library stacks.  Hardly a fair situation is it.

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.