[WikiEN-l] Changing contents by copy editors (was: What to do about our w...

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Sat May 24 20:45:25 UTC 2008

In a message dated 5/24/2008 1:43:01 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
refero.relata at gmail.com writes:

That of  course helps, as you and others have pointed out; there are still,
of  course, occasional cases when the single quote does not really provide
the  required context, or when taken out of context can be  completely
misinterpreted.>>

When you are trying to write for the general reader, and when this
particular (above) is an issue, then it's up to the editors in the article to  ensure
that the situation is clear.

After all, our readers do not read all the underlying sources either.   If
they are confused or uncertain, if copyeditors think something is amiss,  that's
the fault of the writers.  It's up to the writers, to clarify.   And where
there is an issue, its up to the writers to correct it satisfactorily  from
their sources.

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.