[WikiEN-l] What to do about our writing quality?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat May 24 16:19:13 UTC 2008

David Gerard wrote:
> 2008/5/24 SlimVirgin:
>
>> Yes, it's a big improvement, but in fairness, it's not a major copy
>> edit. It really is quite difficult to turn an article from something
>> disjointed and poorly written into a flowing narrative. It's
>> especially frustrating when the works gets reverted, or more often
>> chipped away bit by bit over the following weeks and months. When we
>> see a well-written piece of prose, we should hesitate to wade in
>> unless we're sure we can improve it, but very few people have that
>> attitude, maybe because they think good writing is easy, or because
>> they think it doesn't really matter.
>>
> Actually, I disagree: content accuracy is more important than writing
> flow, and reverting or even discouraging the addition of new
> information for the sake of writing flow is very bad practice.
This seems like the opposite of Slim's complaint.  She's not suggesting
that new information be reverted or discouraged for the sake of writing
flow.  It's about those people who make later changes without paying
attention to text flow.  A careful writer can pay attention to text flow
when adding new facts.

Ec