[WikiEN-l] Kiddie porn moral panic

geni geniice at gmail.com
Tue May 20 13:54:40 UTC 2008

2008/5/20 Daniel R. Tobias <dan at tobias.name>:
> Soon after reading about all the controversy over whether a '70s
> album cover on Wikipedia is "child pornography", I started watching
> the '80s movie "The World According to Garp", which came up on my
> Netflix queue.  The opening sequence of this movie (and the
> theatrical trailer also included on the DVD) depict a naked baby,
> whose penis is clearly visible.  So I guess Warners and Netflix are
> peddlers of kiddie porn too.

Not really relevant we are not after getting complaints about
Nirvana's Nevermind. Most people still accept naked baby pics as
(generaly) not a problem. A more relevant approach might be to see if
they stock Child Bride (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_Bride).

However we know that standards change and as Paul Reubens found out
there is stuff from yester year that does cause problems today. While
most of this material is lesser known than B-movies and German heavy
metal album covers it is inevitable that some better known material
will run into issues.

That said I don't think we have been contacted by any law enforcement
agency over this matter thus the hysteria on both sides would appear
to be unwarranted.

--
geni