[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia has PR Problems

Mark Nilrad marknilrad at yahoo.com
Sat May 17 10:26:16 UTC 2008

I think we need to look at the bad press that we sometimes get and
evaluate it seriously: sometimes it is unfair or silly.  But when bad
press comes because of something we actually did not do well, that we
could think seriously about how to do better, then the right response is
not to shrug our shoulders and say, "So what, we are popular?" but to
respond thoughtfully.

This is particularly true when issues of ethics and human dignity are at
stake, as they often are in cases of BLP-related bad press.

--Jimbo

That's what I'm talking about when I say that keeping Virgin Killer.jpg will give Wikipedia a bad reputation. The issue about the images of Muhammed would, I think, be viewed as a very conservative view from a certain religion. However, we're talking about child porn here. Even though the case has of 99.9% chance of never making the courts, it'll still be a mark on Wikipedia's record.

Noble Story