[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia has PR Problems

Kwan Ting Chan ktc at ktchan.info
Fri May 16 09:19:31 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 17:45 -0700, Mark Nilrad wrote:

> The image was nominated for deletion, and it the result was an
> overwhelming keep, per policy. I'm not going to argue with the
> policies, but I think that if it is true that the FBI is investigating
> if Wikipedia is violating child-porn law, then the image should be
> taken down.

When has being investigated whether someone has broken the law === that
someone has broken the law? The FBI/police/.... investigate when they
have reason to believe someone _might_ have broken the law. That reason
in this case is because someone made an official complaint / enough
noise.

The FBI could found:
1. No law have been broken.
2. Not enough evidence to conclude laws have been broken.
3. Not enough evidence to proceed to court even if they believe laws
have been broken. (Case will only be taken to court if the lawyers
believe there's a X% of chance they are likely to win.)
4. They believe laws have been broken, and that they are likely to win
(whatever the % of likely believe for them.)

If and when number 4 happens, there's still the issue of the state
actually having to prove their case in a court.

Some lives by the believe of innocent until proven guilty. Some might be
satisfied generally even if only number 4 have been reached. Either way,
I certainly don't believe in the other extreme which you seems to be
advocating of guilty until proven innocent.

KTC

  - Heinrich Heine