[WikiEN-l] They didn't attach the GFDL!!!

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon May 12 15:53:44 UTC 2008

2008/5/4 Daniel R. Tobias <dan at tobias.name>:

>  I don't think there's any copyvio there... the text is too small to
>  be readable on the movie screen, and the Victoria image is public
>  domain.  But the movie industry is as a whole pretty anal about
>  crediting even the most incidental use of copyrighted or trademarked
>  things... is there any mention of Wikipedia somewhere in the closing
>  credits?

There probably should be. For news report usage, the trademarks are
expressly allowed to be used (saves us lots of phone calls). For other
movie/TV uses, production companies will generally call. Remember that
there are people whose entire job is clearing trademarks and
copyrights for reuse.

(I'd expect they'd use the puzzle globe to establish it's Wikipedia
the character is looking at, and put some [[lorem ipsum]] text on the
screen or printout.)

- d.