[WikiEN-l] A simple question

Jonas Rand joeyyuan at cox.net
Mon May 5 20:22:21 UTC 2008

> On Mon, 5 May 2008 13:34:58, Chris Howie <cdhowie at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Jonas Rand <joeyyuan at cox.net> wrote:
>> Sometimes, the background of Wikipedia is grey, and sometimes it is white
>>  (see http://jonasrand.110mb.com/images/Greywiki-screenshot.PNG and
>>  http://jonasrand.110mb.com/images/Whitewiki-screenshot.PNG). This is
>> both on
>>  Simple English Wikipedia (shown) and the regilar English Wikipedia. Can
>>  someone explain this phenomenon?
>
> These links are dead.
>
> --
> Chris Howie
> http://www.chrishowie.com
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Crazycomputers

The links were dead and refirected to the 404 page right after I uploaded
them last night, but now they seem fine. It's odd that you seem to be the
only one who doesn't see the images, it might just be your connection.

> On Mon, 5 May 2008 18:46:37, James Farrar <james.farrar at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/5/5 Majorly <axel9891 at googlemail.com>:
>> On 05/05/2008, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  >
>>  > Maybe I'm blind, but I'm not seeing a clear difference between the
>>  > backgrounds on those two images.
>>  >
>>  >
>>  > Nathan
>>  >

>>  The first image has a grey background on the menu bar on the left,
>> whereas
>>  the second image has a white one.
>
> It does? Count me in the "blind" camp...
Are you looking at the background of the page, or are you looking at the
background of the "article" content? I'm talking about the background behind
the whole page.

> On Mon, 5 May 2008 21:20:24, Usamah al-Amin <usamah1228 at gmail.com> wrote:
> This does not need be called a "phenomenon", nor a "blind camp" to
> explain it. :)
>
> Simply the gray colors comes from the CSS background declaration on
> the body element:
>
> background: #F9F9F9 url (headbg.jpg) no-repeat scroll 0pt 0pt;
>
> Sometimes. browsers fail to pick up every background image or CSS
> declaration, so you're left with the default white background color.
>
> If you're using Firefox, and Firebug installed, you can disable that
> CSS declaration and see the effect in real time.
>
> Regards,
> Usamah

Thank you very much. That makes sense.