[WikiEN-l] They didn't attach the GFDL!!!

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun May 4 21:57:38 UTC 2008

>  So if the Foundation isn't interested in suing them to enforce it, then
>  we're not left with anything that can be sued against.  The *community* is  hardly
>  likely to instigate a lawsuit against Answers.com for what... breach of
>  contract maybe?

What would the Foundation sue for? The foundation doesn't own the
copyright. Only the authors can sue, and I expect they could in this
case: Answers.com doesn't seem to be following the license.

In practice, however, I expect the only times anyone would sue for not
following the GFDL is either if they really didn't like the person
doing it (or what they were doing with it) and it was just a way to
stop them, or if they had modified the content and not released their
modifications under a free license and someone had a problem with that
on ideological grounds (or, they simply liked the modifications and
wanted to use them). No one is likely to sue for simple copying, but
that doesn't make it any more legal.